Benefits of Femmax
The unique FEMMAX® design makes these dilators easy to use and convenient to store & carry.
The FEMMAX® dilator was initially developed to address the clinical risks for women who acquire
vaginal adhesions following gynaecological surgery and adiotherapy treatment. The use of the
product was then extended (under clinical supervision) to women who wished to train their vaginal
muscles to relax without fear and pressure, where it has also been found to be of benefit.
Safe, easy and convenient to use.
The dilators are inserted into the vagina to help to keep it healthy and supple and to reduce the risk of scarring following radiotherapy or surgery. This may help to reduce discomfort during follow up examinations, further treatments and sexual intercourse.
The dilator set consist of 4 dilators, which are graduated in size and length to allow a natural progression during treatment. Supplied in a discreet and easily manageable case, which includes space for a lubricant bottle / sachets.IMPORTANT: It is advisable to seek the advice of your doctor or nurse specialist before using vaginal dilators.
- Dilator set consist of 4 dilators - graduated in size and length to allow a natural progression during treatment.
- Easy storage -the 4 dilators are stored by sliding them into each other and placing them in the accompanying case.
- Unique screw together design provides a handle to provide support and stability during use.
- Discreet and portable - case protects dilators and also includes space for a small lubricant bottle.
- Manufactured from durable, high quality material that may be autoclaved if required. It is recommended that the product is single user only and should be replaced if it becomes scratched or damaged in any way.
- Supplied with full instructions for use and a complimentary CD. The CD providesthe instructions in visual format together with relaxation music, enabling the user to create an appropriate environment for using the dilator in order to maximise the physical and psychological benefits of treatment.
- The FEMMAX® dilator is an innovation developed by clinical professionals within the National Health Service to provide a cost e‑ective product that is value for money , encourages greater compliance and improves treatment and quality of life for women of all ages.
- FEMMAX® dilators are used to help to keep the vagina healthy and supple and to reduce the risk of adhesions(soft tissue fusion) following radiotherapy orsurgery. This may help to reduce discomfort during follow up examinations, further treatments and sexual intercourse.
How to use and care for your Femmax
Using the Femmax Dilator After Pelvic Radiotherapy
The Femmax Dilator - For Sexual Difficulties and the Menopause
Femmax Dilator - With Lichen Sclerosus
Femmax Dilator - With Lichen Planus
- After clinical treatments known to cause adhesions (soft tissue fusion) within the vagina such as internal and external pelvic and vaginal hysterectomy or radiotherapy.
- To reduce spasms/clamping and to retrain vaginal muscles (e.g. in cases of vaginismus; dyspareunia; or following childbirth).
- To assist in overcoming psychological trauma associated with sexual intercourse.
Assembling the FEMMAX® dilators
FEMMAX™dilators are supplied as a set of 4 dilatorsstored by sliding them into each other and placing them in the accompanying case.
The two smallest dilators screw together to become a double ended dilator. The two largest dilators also fit together to form a pair.
One dilator inserts into the vagina and the other becomes a handle to provide support and stability during insertion.
Using FEMMAX Dilators
Full instructionsfor use are provided with the product. It is very important that users refer to these instructions prior to use.
The dilators should be used in a place thatis comfortable, private and allowsthe userto relax as much as possible. Dilation begins with the smallest size dilator, gradually increasing in size over time. It is important to stretch the vagina to keep it healthy and supple and the user should aim to eventually be
using the largest dilator comfortable for them.
A small amount of a vaginal lubricant should be applied to the end of the dilator prior to insertion. The dilator is inserted into the vagina gently and as deeply as possible, applying a little pressure so that the user can feel the top of the vagina but without causing discomfort. The dilator is held firmly and moved in a small circular (grinding) motion. Some patients may be advised to hold the dilator firmly in place for a period of time or may be advised to insert, remove and reinsert, repeating this process several times. The doctor or nurse specialist should advise the user fully on this.
Should some spotting or slight bleeding occur after use,this is considered normal because of the breakdown of any scar tissue (adhesions). However, should heavy or prolonged bleeding occur the user must contact their doctor or nurse specialist immediately.
The dilators hould generally be used twice every day for a period of 6 weeks (i.e. morning and night, or whenever convenient) then used 3 times per week for 6 months and once weekly thereafter for as long as advised to do so by the doctor or nurse specialist.